Support for the Scouting movement came at The American Legion's first National Convention in 1919. Today, there are more than 2,500 Scout units sponsored by Legion Posts throughout the country. We host and sponsor the Scout Troop #5. Boy Scout Troop 5 was chartered in 1931 by our American Legion Post, Norman McLeod Post 26. The first scoutmaster was Oscar E. Baynard who was a renowned naturalist and bird expert. He also planned/developed the Hillsborough River, Myakka River, and Highlands Hammock State Parks. The first assistant Scoutmaster was Mike E. Sansone, a WWI & WWII veteran, who had served in WWI with Norman McLeod. Mr. Sansone assisted in organizing the American Legion Post 26 in 1919. He was a long time Plant City barber, deeply involved in scouting and the American Legion. He was also Plant City’s first recipient of Citizen of the Year Award in the 1950’s. Mike E. Sansone Community Park was named in his honor for his life dedicated to youth. In 1935 Troop 5 became an all Eagle Scout troop of 33 with advancement of 13 boys - possibly the largest all Eagle Scout troop ever. Nearly all Eagles from 1935 served in WWII, at least one was killed and one taken prisoner.
Supporting Scouting activities is natural for Legionnaires, who bring their service-learned skills and experiences as Veterans to bear to help build character and positive traits in "Young America." Few other Post activities generate more goodwill from the community.